August 28, 2008

I've Got a Cheshire Cat Grin

For a night spent on the couch, watching TV, tonight was pretty intense.

First, Barack Obama took the stage (or I guess field would be more accurate) in Denver to accept his party's nomination for the presidency of the United States of America. Regardless of party affiliation, I like to think most Americans can appreciate the significance of this event in our nation's history. I could say plenty more about the substance of his speech but there are enough political pundits in the world so I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Once the confetti was flying, MB and I turned our attention to Radiohead.

Sometime today, a message on the band's blog kindly informed fans that it might be a good idea to update some A/V software. Later on, Colin posted a second message letting everyone know they would stream the final show of the North American tour, live, from the Santa Barbara Bowl. Make it four and a half shows I got to see on this tour.

Chalk up one more coup for Radiohead. What a way to end a tour that all started with the unorthodox release of In Rainbows, their seventh studio album. The quality of the feed was incredible, all things considered, even on my 37" TV.

Either I'm on stage and my camera sucks or the live feed is pretty good
(on the laptop, shot taken with my iPhone camera)

Oh, and apparently sometime between the time we caught them at APW and the West Coast leg of the tour, they changed the song they play at the end of the show. Instead of the harmonic minor tune that reminded me of a bazaar someplace in the Middle East, they played the Flight of the Conchords' If You're Into It.

On the TV with MB's star-light in the background

No comments: